Best Free SSH Client App for Android Devices
What is SSH?
SSH stands for Secure Shell and in simpler words it is typically used to log into a remote machine and execute commands, through SSH access we can execute any command on any remote server like we do locally in our systems with terminal. SSH Server needs to be installed on the remote server, through the ip, user id and password of thet remote server we can execute any command through a ssh client like putty (Putty is one of the most popular and free ssh client available for Windows).
There are many instances when we need to be able to log into a remote server via SSH. Sometimes we are on a desktop or laptop and can handle that easily, and other times the only tool we have available is an Android device. There are plenty of SSH clients available for this, but many of them are simply not worth your time and effort, so this post is about as the title says “Best Free SSH Client for Android Devices” and after lots of research and use of different apps i found one best that fits to all my needs, that is JuiceSSH
JuiceSSH – SSH Client
JiuceSSH is all in one terminal client for Android which provides support for SSH, Local Shell, Mosh and Telnet. It has an average of 4.7 start rating on Google Play Store and over 1 million downloads. JuiceSSH has all the features that a SSH Client and terminal should have, is pretty smooth and user friendly. Below are the list of features that JuiceSSH offers :
- Full colour terminal / ssh client
- Popup keyboard with all those normally hard to find characters
- Use the volume keys to quickly change font size
- External keyboard support
- Gestures for irssi, weechat, tmux and screen
- Community and third party plugins
- Official Mosh support (http://mosh.mit.edu)
- Telnet support
- Local Android terminal support
- Dark, Light, 80’s hacker, Molokai, Solarized Dark and Solarized Light terminal color themes
- Click URLs to open in a browser
- Copy & Paste within sessions
- Save / Share SSH transcripts to Dropbox/Evernote/Email & SD card
- UTF-8 character support
- Easily organise your connections by group
- Keep multiple SSH sessions running in the background
- Seamlessly connect ‘via’ other SSH connections with one click
- Immediate access when you open the app to your frequently used connections
- IPv6 support
- Password & OpenSSH private key support
- RSA key generator (encryption supported)
- SSH key agent forwarding
- Support for two-factor authentication (eg: Google Authenticator)
- Identities (users/password/keys) are abstracted from connections. Instead of updating every connection when you change your password – just update the identity and any connections linked to it will use the new password/key.
- zlib compression to improve SSH sessions on high latency connections.
So what are you waiting for now, go head to Play Store and install JuiceSSH on your device.